and it may help you as well. These are only small things but they do make a difference when I work at home.
- switching off all noise
- communicating in a clear and friendly manner that I will not be available from…to…
- holding my centre with a help of my visual board right on my desk
- using my favourite scent in the room
- keeping a bit a nature right beside or close to me (my three-legged cat and self-planted lemon tree)
If you have time and want to read about each point more you can below:
- I used to run news channel in the background but it was very distracting a and took me away from my work. Usually not very positive space. Now I watch news only at a certain time of a day and for a limited time. Similarly with my phone. I used to check every notification no matter how unimportant and that was hugely distracting. Now I keep my phone in a corridor and not on my desk, the sound and notifications are off until late afternoon. I like to work with a soothing background music or when I do not have to be too creative with an interesting YouTube video/podcast.
- I noticed that it is better to tell people (including family members) that I am in my working mode and I will not be available. Usually I give them also an idea about the time period. This helps to avoid lots of misunderstandings. I always choose a friendly manner over anything else and usually the response is very good.
- I like to keep a very detailed and focused board rather than a generic one with a general quote. The more focused the faster brings me back to the space I want to be.
- I love natural scents and scents that I associate with pleasant moments.
- Nature is so essential to staying positive for me. I simply love it. Herbs, wildflower, grasses, trees, you name it. And of course – pets. They are absolutely awesome and I don’t really need to write about their positive effect here…
Have a lovely day dear friends and remember – keep it positive 🙂
2 thoughts on “This helps me to stay in a positive work mode…”
Really good suggestions! I’ve sometimes had the news on this past year in the background while working and I’ve found it to be so angering and negative, not to mention distraction. I think minimising exposure to this sort of stuff is good, keeping it at certain times of the day so you’re up to date on what’s happening, without it taking too much of your attention and time (not to mention driving you up the wall!) Telling others you’re in working mode is a good point too, it just helps define the boundaries a bit.
Thank you Caz for your fantastic feedback! I feel the same. I watch news in the evening only and only one cycle 🙂 I try to be friendly when telling people that I will not be available. Sometimes I make a joke out it. Usually it is well received and accepted. Before I used to respond to anything anytime and that was exhausting. Have a great and productive day Caz! Mona xx